Friday, September 24, 2010

How to extend expiration of California NCLEX

UPDATE Since April 26, 2010: California now requires SSN on NCLEX Application, Renewal, Retake, so they might not extend NCLEX expiration without it. Read the official memo about it here.
If you’re reading a lot about NCLEX Application and US licensure, you might be now aware that California Board of Registered Nursing is one of the state boards that require Social Security Number (SSN, US) for a nurse to be licensed there, even after passing the NCLEX. They will just send you a pass-letter stating that you have to supply the said requirement in 3 years, or else your file will be destroyed.
Some California NCLEX passers endorse their result to other state boards, like Vermont, to be licensed. But that requires another processing and set of fees. So instead of endorsing, you can request extension of the 3-year period given by California to supply SSN. You can do that by emailing CA BRN 4-6 months before the end of 3 years. Here’s a  sample letter of request for extension:
Board of Registered Nursing
To whom it may concern:
I’m a
I passed my NCLEX-RN exam on (enter date).  My file number is [enter file number].  I live in the [enter the country where you live], and have accepted an offer of employment to work [indicate the name of the hospital and reference the city, CA]    My immigration case is delayed due to retrogression issues. The pass letter that I received from your office says that I must provide aSocial Security number to the board of nursing by[enter the date].  I cannot provide a Social Security Number at this time because I’ve never lived or worked in the , and I would be grateful indeed if you grant me an extension of another year.
Your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
Your name
Address
Telephone number
Email address
You can email the letter request to Lisa_Chan@dca.ca.gov or brn_licensing@dca.ca.gov, or both before sending via snail mail.